Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Half Mast Flags


As seen in December 15th, 2005 Record Herald



Here we are, getting ready for Christmas. Running here and there, shopping, visiting, cooking and apparently, forgetting.

As I drove through downtown Washington Court House today, I saw the same slap-in-the-face I saw on September 11th of this year--the United States' flag flying at full staff on all government buildings.

Why would this offend me? Because, we need to remember such things as Pearl Harbor Day (which is December 7 th) and Patriot Day (September 11th) because as soon as we forget, we do all those who died and served a great injustice.

On December 7th, 1941, we were plunged into war by a foreign nation attacking and killing thousands of Americans on American soil. On September 11th, 2001, we were also attacked, thousands were killed on American soil and yet the City of Washington can't even go out and lower the flags in respect on these two days? Sep. 11th was on a Sunday, so maybe no one wanted to go into work just to lower the flags.

The high today, Dec. 7th is only in the 20's, so maybe no one wants to get cold lowering the flags. Neither is a good excuse. Of all the years I've lived here in Fayette County, I've never been so ashamed of the County Seat letting down not only me, our Veterans of WWII and Operation Iraqi Freedom, but also the thousands who died because other nations didn't like our freedom.

I certainly can't be the last flag toting patriot left, can I?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home